Monday, August 22, 2011

Postcards

The Sarasota Surface Design Guild I belong to has switched from ATC's to 4"x6" postcards for our monthly member swap.  The postcards can be either fabric or paper (or a combination!!)  This is a new size format for me so I've been playing.........  four very different styles..........

Please click for a larger view.....

The card in the upper right is on paper I cut from a larger sheet of a water color 'experiment.'  I placed a transparent overlay that has writing on it next, and then positioned the two dark strips behind it.  A second overlay of the woman's image is a tape transfer.  For embellishment I added three vintage mother-of-pearl buttons and some decorative machine stitching.  A little twist of fancy fibers finishes the look I was aiming for.

"Beach Summer" was composed on a piece of pearlized peach colored card stock, stamped multiple times with a flower image, and then I applied the three tape transfers (can you tell I've been having fun with tape transfers???) and the lettering stickers.  

"Pisces" is a combo of  color stamped background (the little 'Brilliance" teardrops), an embossed peacock feather, a bit of sparkle in the swirly stickers and hand lettering which tells of the attributes of Pisces folk.  I made it specifically to give to a Pisces pal of mine ;-0

"bloom" is circles of fabric appliqued onto a pieced background and is a direct copy of one of Tom Russel's styles of design.  The two largest circles and the leaves were also pieced before being cut out.  A few shiny black beads in the center of the smallest circles seemed called for, so I added them.  I backed the fabric with a piece of light blue cardstock and zig-zagged around all the edges to hold it all together.

Each of the postcards has a hand lettered designation of 'postcard' on the back and a little drawing of a stamp (2 cents, if anyone can remember back that far.......!!) with a wiggly line down the middle to separate the address section from the message section.  I know there are rubber stamps available in postcard format, but at JoAnn's and also at my local art store, they are $12.95, and I have better things to do with that amount of cash!!

No comments:

Post a Comment